How to re-install Adobe CS3 after components install failed

Previously, I had installed it without any problems but later, the error "license has expired" when starting the application. Then I uninstalled it to re-install all applications but I got a horrible experience with the Adobe CS3 installers. Only shared components were installed and the other components failed. I tried to uninstall and re-install it for several times. It screwed up my PC and my head for almost a week but all ended up at the same errors: "Some problems occurred during installation," "Component install failed,", "Shared components failed to install" or "Please insert Adobe CS3 ... to continue installation".

I dedicated my whole day off to tackle it. Searching and looking up to find solutions, I finally found some useful blogs of the guys who got the same hellish experience as me.

I said to myself that it would be my last try, and if it did not work out for me, I would give up to screw around this Adobe CS3 re-installation and back to use CS2. I followed their suggestions.

For goodness sake! It worked!! THANKS for their advices!!

Here below are the remedies that may help you to get your Adobe CS3 installed.

1. Please download CS3-5 Cleanup Script to clean up any beta or pre-release installations.

2. Please download Windows Installer Clean Up Utility to be used in the clean up process by CS3 Clean Script. You can run this program to get it installed first.

3. Please download Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller because the Adobe Flash Player could cause the corrupted installations.

4. Copy all applications/contents in DVD to your hard disk.

5. Delete/Uninstall all installed Adobe and Macromedia products including CS2 version by Add/Remove program. All Adobe/Macromedia folders you found in your PC have to be deleted. You may check if there is nothing left by using "search" tool and type "Adobe" and "Macromedia" to check. For example, some Adobe folders are kept under C:\Users\-UserName or ComputerName-\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe. Carefully check!

6. Run the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller. Do it twice to make sure it is really gone.

7. Restart your computer to make sure that there are no active Adobe/Macromedia programs left.

8. Run CS3 Clean Script and follow the on-screen instructions. For the level, please enter "4" which is not in the options. Clean with Level "4" will really help as it will delete all Adobe/Macromedia remnants on your system. Do this twice or more to make sure it cleaned.

9. Reboot your PC and install CS3 from the files copied from DVD to your hard disk.

After the last step, you will have your CS3 installed perfectly! as I do.

Little notes:
- The OS that I am using is Vista Home Premium.
- Adobe CS3 program I re-installed is Adobe CS3 Web Premium.
- During the installation, I did not disable any firewall.

11 comments:

  presa1200

February 4, 2009 at 9:15 AM

i think better format the windows and reinstall everything...

  Natnapha T.

March 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Thanks for your comment, Presa.

  Jennifer

October 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

you have correctly summed up my week with adobe! BUT after rounds and rounds of this nightmare i am unable to delete a few of the adobe folders, therefore possibly still failing on install??? I have not tried the flash uninstaller, will do that next.

Ive been running the clean script on level 4 multiple times and have tried "rmdir" in the command prompt but the message is access is denied....on the remaining adobe folders?

Iam completely annoyed, especially since most of the blog info i have found to help me is over a year old - which means this is and has been a huge problem. Tech support has been nothing more than an absolute waste of time!! Anymore help? thanks

  Nate Heldman

November 19, 2009 at 12:25 PM

it's ridiculous that any company makes it this difficult to reinstall their software. but thanks to this blog, i have...3 hours later...got my cs3 back up and running

  Kevin Kwok

March 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM

This worked for me after a few tries... my cs3 was working fine just yesterday. I have a suspicion that it was this flash player update i installed. Could be wrong, just speculating. Anyways thank you for this post.



On a side note: your post comment link was very hard to find i almost did not leave you a comment saying thank you because I could not find the link. maybe put more space between the link and the google ad.

  Ashwin

April 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM

It Works !!!
Thanks dude :)

Was really helpful.

  J

November 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM

One of our users in the office just experienced this exact problem. This solution worked! Thank you for posting it.

  Frank

May 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM

check out step 5: "check if there is nothing left... under C:\Users\-UserName or ComputerName-\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe." this actually solved my problem, thanks

  Unknown

May 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

had the same problem. i discovered the installer checks paths relative to the first install. e.g if the first time you installed from a dvd drive path E:\adobe then the second time the installer will want you to install from a similar path. so if you use a different path like f:\software\adobe it will refuse it has to be similar to the first. so you can rename the drive and make the path similar or do a clean uninstall of everything and install a fresh

  Redking

March 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Spent days trying to get Adobe installed and came across this blog.
Followed your steps and hey presto it worked!

Thank you!

  James

February 19, 2016 at 5:28 AM

Very appreciated..worked